Coping With A Loss
How to Help Someone Else Cope
If you are trying to help someone else cope
with a loss, these insights from people who
are grieving may be of assistance.
- Acknowledge the death -- express your
sadness, your concern, your desire to help.
Don't say "I know how you feel" if you
- Offer to do something practical to help --
or just do it.
- Simply be there. Be available.
- Stay in touch after the funeral. Often
friends stop calling after the first week.
- Talk about the death and talk about the
person who died, and share your
- Encourage the person to express
feelings, to cry, and to feel okay about his or
- Make contact on important dates,
anniversaries, and holidays; let them know
you're thinking of them.
Go to the the Coping Menu
Go to the the Caretakers Menu
Go to the HIVpositive.us Main Menu